Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Found Bobby Fischer



This is the father, making a guest blog entry. Mel is away for a few days and I thought this was blog worthy. Today, my 5 year old son beat me in chess. Never been so proud since he voted for Barack Obama in his preschool election.

A little background, I have recently gotten reinterested in chess. I've been reading books about it, playing anyone I can pin down, including the computer. Thought I was getting pretty good. Anyways, I thought it a good idea to teach Lorenzo how to play, and he took to it pretty fast. It may sound crazy to teach someone so young, so we taught Bradly too. She also knows how to move all of the pieces and the two of them can play a game together without any real outside help, as displayed in the picture (though Bradly usually gets bored before the game ends). Anyways, today as I was playing the older kid, I was coaching him a little bit when I would threaten some of his pieces, hoping to help him see what to look for. He kept up pretty well, I was only up a pawn or two as we went into the end game. I thought I was about to finish him when I noticed he just about had me. He was about to do something else and I told him to look at it again, he saw the right move almost right away and had me mated in 3 moves. I got checkmated by a 5-year old. No more coaching him, I'm playing for keeps now!

7 comments:

Tara and Andrew said...

That's amazing. Of course your kids would be brilliant at the age of 5. Way to go Chris!:)

Caldwell's said...

I can't believe they are playing chess...Way to go Lorenzo!! It's important to keep your Dad humble.

Fara Jean said...

So proud of you to keep up the family blog while Mel is off on an across-the-U.S.-adventure...
And particularly proud of the babygrands, for their skills, skills, and skills... I hear Bradly is almost as good as Lorenzo, yes? I keep telling you, you are the best dad ever!
Love, Gramme Fara

Grahm and Ashley said...

What a brilliant little guy, well, exept the Obama thing! I'll let that one slide! Have you guys been in DC too long? How did you teach him chess?

Ben and Pam said...

Chris, Good to hear from you! This is awesome that your teaching little ox how to beat his old man! j/k. Let us know when you guys head to Russia. Smile!

Pam and Ben

Celeste said...

Love, LOVE IT!!! Love that Chris posted to your blog, and especially that those cute little ones are playing chess! Lorenzo, will you teach me to play chess?

Minwimm said...

Sounds like the spittin image of his Daddy-O. You know they have scholarships for that sort of thing at the Ivy Leagues.