Wednesday, February 10, 2010

From Russia with Love

The first question was always..."Why are you here in the winter?" Of course, when opportunity arises you must take it- unfortunately mine arose in the middle of winter! Still the adventure of a lifetime as I not only got to see Moscow and some of it's most famous sites, but I also had the unfathomable chance to experience Russian village life. Where the homes only have freezing cold water available, where the toilet is an outhouse outside, where you take a bath once a week at the community bathhouse (yep! I got naked (women only!) with the best (and worst) of them!), and where the people give the best of everything they have to a guest. I had a most wonderful time and have promised myself to experience Russia next time under much more inviting weather conditions.

Russia, civilized and far from, in no particular order...






























7 comments:

Fara Jean said...

Oh Melanni,

I LOVE the pictures. I do need to request narration so I can truly appreciate your experience. And, ... where is the picture of the community bathing? I envy your love and zest for life. You are my inspiration.
Love,
Ma

Zach and Shanna said...

How amazing!! You are so incredibly lucky to have this opportunity! Enjoy it!

broken face and contrite spirit said...

dude i love that you have all these amazing pictures of russia!! soooo awesome!! I wish I were there with you...( the best even better is the fact that you are there is the fact that you found Mt Dew... and McDonalds!!)

jenn said...

wow! Russia looks beautiful!

Ashley Mae said...

Wow, soooo cool!!! Looks so cold! Wish we could have gone with you! Was that a bed pan by your bed??

Minwimm said...

Beautiful and cold. I can feel it from here. I need to go take a piping hot shower.

Caldwell's said...

Wow--looks like a dream. Cold or not. What a cool thing.